Wednesday, October 24, 2012

With Boys Come Broken Limbs

I am truly amazed that we've managed to go this long without having some sort of bodily harm befall us.  I anticipated something happening to Bryce, since he is playing football.  Instead, Sean brought our first broken limb.

Sunday evening, Hubby had taken the two little guys over to their school's playground for a while.  When they returned, Trevor burst in the door saying Sean had possibly broken his arm.  John wasn't sure and thought, perhaps, Sean was just being a baby about it.  But when we asked him to try to raise his arm, it was obvious to me that something didn't look right.

I was in the middle of baking cookies and John decided he would dash off with Sean to the emergency room (not really a brief dash when it takes you a half hour to get to the nearest hospital) and I would follow after putting Trevor to bed.  I was thankful to miss the traumatic moment when he had the IV inserted (ever since his kindergarten shots went wrong, he's developed a fear of needles).  I arrived in time to comfort him before he headed in to surgery to correct the bad fracture of his elbow joint.

Here is a picture of the x-ray:
Ouch!

I've been very grateful for our recent purchase of a new couch and matching recliner.  He fits perfectly into the recliner with enough room to prop the arm above his heart with his fingers elevated above the elbow.

Trevor was so worried about him.  He made him a t-shirt and asked me to bring it to him.  It was a god-send, because the extra-large size allowed the sleeve to go over the temporary splint (he gets a more permanent cast on Friday).  Trevor drew a picture on the shirt of some computer character called Slender.
He is such a sweet patient.  He will ask me to bring him water and then will say, "Thank you, Mommy, for bringing me this water."  His biggest complaint is the heaviness of the splint.  At this point, he still wants me to help support the splint when he moves around.  Thankfully, he is young and his bones should heal quickly.

No comments: