Saturday, October 20, 2012

Book Review: Zen and the Art of Faking It

Somehow I didn't like this book as much as the other two of Jordan Sonnenblick's books which I have read (Notes from the Midnight Driver and Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie).  I will say that he has once again provided a male protagonist with a story sure to appeal to pre-teen and teenage boys and he nails the teenaged angst.  There are not enough authors writing good books for boys out there, so I still applaud Sonnenblick for this endeavor.

When San Lee is forced to move to a small town in Pennsylvania (after his father is abruptly removed from the picture in his life), he must choose how to present himself in his new environs.  He has already adopted different persona in the various locations he has lived.  This time he decides to present himself as a Zen master.  He is eager to win the affections of Woody, a guitar-strumming beauty who is intrigued by his wisdom and quirkiness.  Unfortunately, Woody's home life isn't any better than San's.  As San goes deeper into his deception, he increases his chances of losing the one girl he might actually be attracting.  How long can San maintain his fictitious persona and will he get the girl or not?

The characters are strong.  The idea is believable (teens are often trying on different personas while trying to find the one that fits).  The pages did turn fairly quickly, but the ending didn't hold the conflict to a crisis point.  It sort of simpered to an end.

Perhaps it was the whole Zen spin that didn't appeal to me.  I don't know.  The story was cute enough and pretty standard fare, but I just didn't come away with as strong a connection as I felt to Sonnenblick's previous books.  I'm not giving up on Sonnenblick yet, just saying this wasn't my favorite book by this author.

No comments: