Saturday, October 6, 2012

Beaming 'Cuz the Boy Can't Wait to Read

My last post about Trevor was one of embarrassment.  This post is one of pride.  He has made me one happy momma this morning.

Last night, I was beat.  I had stayed up until almost midnight the night before helping Bryce type up a paper for his American History class.  Thus, I left hubby in charge and headed to bed early (around 8).

This morning, John informed me that Trevor did two things that would make me smile.  First, he drew a picture for his big brother (who was away playing football last night).  It was a picture of Bryce in his football uniform, with his number and name on the jersey, throwing a football.  He left it, along with a note wishing him luck, on big brother's desk.

But the biggest thing involved getting in trouble.  John put the boys to bed at 8:45, but when he popped in to check on them at 9:45 he found Trevor reading a book under the light of a Halloween decoration behind his bed.  The name of the compelling book?  The Strange Case Of  Origami Yoda.  (He's really feeling his oats this morning, because he just came by and corrected me, telling me that instead of italics, I must underline it because it is a book!)

I cannot begin to tell how happy and proud this makes my momma heart feel.  I love books.  I have craved the experience of having a child who loves books with equal passion.  Bryce has nothing but disdain for books.  He cannot begin to tell how much he loathes them.  Groan.

Praise God for books that are enticing to boys!  Praise God for a child who knows the thrill of hiding under dim light to finish a book that is just aching to be read!  May this wonderful experience happen again and again, perhaps without the disobedience next time.

No comments: