Thursday, June 6, 2013

Heading to a Writer's Conference

I am moments away from leaving to attend one day of a four-day writer's conference in Wheaton, Illinois, called the Write-to-Publish Conference.  I have gone twice before and netted no greater results than camaraderie with my writer's group in attendance, encouragement to keep writing, and a chance to meet a few other writers.  I am hoping for great things from this visit.

For one, I am taking a class taught by the agent who holds one of my manuscripts (it is even an appropriate class for me to take since its focus is on not boring young readers).  I think this will be a wonderful opportunity to give her a face behind the manuscript and provide her with evidence that I've prepared more than just one YA novel manuscript for consideration.  I have made up a page of pitch paragraphs, condensing each of my novels down into one paragraph, complete with my contact information and my photo.  I hope to pass this out to as many agents and editors as I can while there and am hoping that my photo will help them to remember me long after the dust of the conference has settled.

I have also printed out copies of the first chapter (or first ten pages) of each manuscript, in case one of the agents or editors expresses an interest in seeing a better view of my actual writing ability.  Sadly, our toner cartridge went on our printer prior to my need of these copies, so I found myself at a copy shop this morning, paying an exorbitant amount to bring along this ammunition.  I hope that I am able to discharge every cartridge (hand out every manuscript sample) and that some of the shots hit their desired target.

I am also hoping that I can manage to pack the benefits of the full conference into the single day I selected (I couldn't afford to be away for all of it).  I am bracing myself for a day of over-stimulation.  I will, no doubt, crash and burn tomorrow night.  Thankfully, I have friends who have offered to put me up, so I was able to forego the expense of accommodation.

All this to say, I am on pins and needles as I prepare to pull out of the driveway on my little jaunt.  I am praying that God will work out the connections that He sees fit to make in my time there.  I have placed my writing in His hands.  Now, I'm off to sell myself and my writing to the best of my ability.

1 comment:

Amy Sorensen said...

Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it went!