Friday, September 6, 2013

Book Review: I Can't Complain

Every once in a while, I like to pick up a volume of essays because I can read them in snippets.  Plus, this one promised a whole section "On Writing."  While not as funny or engaging as the essays by Nora Ephron (I read two of her books of essays last year), these were still entertaining and interesting.

I think I laughed the loudest at her recounting of her son's introduction to sex education.  It was just a funny essay, tapping into that natural discomfort we all feel when our children approach us for information about babies and the like.  Of course, the essays on writing were of interest to me, since I consider myself a writer.  Less interesting - the ones about soap operas and "Sex and the City." I've never read any of Elinor Lipman's novels, but her writing style was certainly easy to read.

If you are looking for a small collection of personal essays or for tidbits from a writer, on writing, you might enjoy this book.  If you're looking for side-splitting humor, you might want to try Nora Ephron instead. At 161 pages, it is a quick, entertaining read.

No comments: