Thursday, May 29, 2014

A Bit of This and That

I've been spending most of my reading time getting through an almost five-hundred page book which I have read and reviewed before, The Knife of Never Letting Go, by Patrick Ness (which Rolling Stone has just named one of the Best Ever YA Books). It is one of my favorites, so I didn't mind re-reading it and the pacing definitely keeps you going. We had a very nice discussion about the book at my Young at Heart book club and I encouraged the others to finish the series. I was also interested to learn that Lionsgate has purchased the film rights and is supposedly working on creating a film based on the books. Ness mentioned that he has exciting news about the film project, but he cannot share it yet, so I'll be keeping an eye on his blog to find out more news of the movie's progress (plus, it sounds like they will be making a film of one of my other favorites of his, A Monster Calls).

In the meantime, I wanted to provide a link for an excellent blog post about apologies. I found it very useful in thinking about the recent friction between my two youngest boys (a friction which, while lessened, is still with us, despite the trampoline and fresh air, now that we are together so much because of summer break). It outlines a four-part process for apologies which can be taught to kids to help them give authentic apologies. It can be found at www.cuppacocoa.com/a-better-way-to-say-sorry/.

We also stumbled upon this awe-inspiring video of an artist, Belo, creating a mosaic with 66,000 cups of tinted water - a must see:



2 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

I agree with Rolling Stone! I love Patrick Ness. I have such vivid images in my head from Knife that I'm not sure I WANT a movie. Unless they can just make it like it is in my head! :)

Wendy Hill said...

Yes, it definitely deserves a spot among the top 40. I don't know how they will effectively present the "noise" of men's thoughts without it being distracting for the movie and agreed that I have images in my head which don't really want to be replaced by some Hollywood interpretation.