Friday, March 30, 2018

Movie Review: Breathe - Highly Recommend

I don't often watch movies and I rarely write movie reviews, but this movie couldn't go without comment. I had no idea what it was about but simply requested it because I saw that it starred Claire Foy and I recognized her from her remarkable role in The Crown (a popular series about Queen Elizabeth). The Chicago Sun-Times declared this "the most inspiring movie of the year." I was swept away by this tender, remarkable story of triumph over tragedy and highly recommend it (there are so few movies to highly recommend these days!).

Breathe tells the true story of Robin and Diana Cavendish. When Robin succumbs to the results of polio (given months to live because he is paralyzed and on a ventilator), he wants to die rather than spend the rest of his days in a vegetative state lying in a hospital bed. His wife replies, "I won't let you die, but tell me how I can better help you live." They decide to secret him away from the hospital, against doctor's orders (no patient had ever received treatment outside of a hospital before), to be cared for at home with his wife watching to be sure the ventilator continued to breathe for him. The couple refuses to give up in the face of obstacles. With the help of his wife and friends, Robin lives a very full life, watches his son grow up, travels the world, and advocates for better opportunities for the severely disabled.

At the end of the movie, I discovered that Diana Cavendish never re-married. Moreover, the son Jonathan, produced this movie (along with Diana's triplet grandchildren - ha). Impressive! It was truly a magnificent love story and one I will be recommending to anyone seeking a meaningful movie experience. Follow this link to view the movie's trailer.


2 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

I saw this movie a month ago, and recommended it to my husband who watched it on a flight home. Glad to see you liked it, too.

Wendy Hill said...

Yes, I don't often recommend movies. The best movie I've seen in theaters recently was the new version of Jumanji (which I went to with hesitation because I remembered the Robin Williams version so fondly, but I think they managed to modernize it quite well and the humor factor was phenomenal).