Thursday, October 4, 2018

Writers Need a Sabbath

Photo by Debby Hudson on Unsplash

My laptop was in the shop for repairs all last week. As the one device in our home with Microsoft Word, it's the only place I can work on my novels. This evoked mixed feelings. Even though the inability to work on my writing brought frustration, it also brought a whole different overwhelming feeling: a perplexing combination of relief and freedom. It lifted the weight of expectation. I didn't have to worry about my productivity level because it was out of my hands.

As a result, I'm now contemplating taking a breather from my writing efforts. I suppose I've become too consumed with the elusive goal of achieving publication. My January resolutions all leaned that direction. Mentally, I am constantly agitating over what I should do to achieve that goal. It is draining. Perhaps, I desperately need a writing hiatus. The writing loses the element of fun when expectation overshadows eagerness.

I will admit, this is rather unsettling, a month before my annual November Nanowrimo efforts. Even though I had already considered passing on this year's challenge, it feels too much like surrender. Then again, maybe surrender is exactly what I need at this moment. It is also scary because I think I see my writing as my raison d'etre (reason for existence). Without that as a focus, what do I do with myself? (My husband would say, "Clean, woman! Clean!" - ha!)

I long for feedback from other writers. Is this a normal patch in the road? Am I coming to the end of my writing reserves? Am I giving up by taking time off from my writing goals? How long should my hiatus last? If you are a writer, how do you handle the need for a break? Even God took a Sabbath rest after His creation. Should I wonder at my soul's need for a breather? Who knows, maybe a Sabbath is the key!

No comments: