Monday, October 7, 2019

My Downton Abbey Movie Review

Photo by Greg Willson on Unsplash

I had such high hopes for my return to the Downton Abbey splendor. Perhaps, my too-recent immersion in the six season television show dampened my movie-going experience. From the outset, it felt off. I understand that the actors have moved on and lived many years now off the Downton Abbey set. Nonetheless, the portrayal of the characters felt stiff and stilted, as if they had difficulty plunging back into their past personas. The lines that used to zing and crackle, now fell flat. There were a few moments when Violet and Isobel returned to their typical sparring modes, but it wasn't a seamless jump from the television version to the big screen.

The story line lacked intrigue and substance, as well. It seemed they tried to cram the two-hour movie with at least ten minutes devoted to each character, but at the cost of plotting. Yes, the king and queen's arrival, with the inevitable scramble to impress, caused wrinkles. But the wrinkles were minor and not significant enough to make me care or even get excited.

While I loved the costumes, they didn't appear to be any more special than the ones from the six-season show. It was grand to see the aerial shots of the castle again and John Lunn's music still tugged at my emotional heart for Downton. Mostly, I thrilled in the story line that provided Tom Branson with a suitable match (my greatest hope from the movie). While not truly from the servant class, she wasn't from the privileged upbringing of a peer's family either. She met the criteria well. The romance developed too quickly for my taste, in the space of a few frames. Still, she seemed a wise choice to settle my heart's desire for a love interest for the widower.

All in all, the movie disappointed. I'm not sure what would have saved it. Better writing? Better acting? A longer script (the two-hour romp felt like an over-large body crammed into a shrunken garment)? I certainly won't anticipate another Downton Abbey movie with equal vigor. It is clear, any future episode will not include Dame Maggie Smith (and even her lines did not carry their usual intensity). Lady Edith and Lady Mary have secured the truce I assumed I wanted, but I missed the spark and intrigue of their barbed relationship. How would they all go forward? They obviously need new characters and new challenges. I will bid Downton Abbey adieu. It was nice while it lasted, but the attempt to rekindle the old flame seemed more like a Bic lighter than a blazing bonfire. So sad!

No comments: