Monday, August 23, 2021

Book Review: The Good Husband of Zebra Drive

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series is delightful. I love the colorful characters, the intriguing cases, and the exotic locale. Even though I've had no desire to travel to Botswana, I love immersing myself in the country through this author's eyes. And who better to observe and comment on Botswana than protagonist Precious Ramotswe. I agree with the San Francisco Chronicle assessment on the back cover:

"The warm humanity infused throughout [these] novels is what brings readers back... There is simplicity and lyricism in [the] language that brings out the profound importance of everyday revelations."

In The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, Mma Ramotswe's husband asks to take on a case. After all, why should the women have all the fun? At the same time, one of the apprentices, Charlie, aspires to create his own taxi business using the No. 1 Ladies' moniker because he intends to attract lady clients. Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi both tackle their own cases. With everyone busy, what could possibly go wrong?

This title proves why listening to the audiobooks is beneficial. As an American, I'm tempted to pronounce the title with a hard "e" in Zebra. But, like the British, with their "zebra crossings" (crosswalks), it calls for a soft "e." Lisette Lecat's voice rings in my ear whenever I think of the characters and locations in these books. I'm so pleased she continues to provide the narration. You can experience an audible sample if you click here and then click on the audible sample button.

No comments: