Monday, August 2, 2021

Book Review: Blue Shoes and Happiness

Blue Shoes and Happiness is the 7th novel in Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. I am enjoying my second time around with these delightful novels narrated by the excellent accent and tenor of Lisette Lecat. I noted, on the back cover of this audio book, that Ms. Lecat is also a playwright. Interesting! In this 7th installment, Mma Makutsi wonders why her fiance fails to appear for dinner one night, the traditionally built Mma Ramotswe goes on a diet, and Mr. JLB Matekoni purchases a chair from Phuti Radiphuti. It is interesting to note that I have complained in the past about authors who write out the entire names of characters repeatedly. Somehow, given Lecat's rich narration, this habit thrills me instead of repelling me. Ha! Despite this, and a formulaic tendency, I love this series.

No comments: