Monday, October 23, 2023

Book Review: The Happy Life of Isodara Bentley - Highly Recommend

I can't even remember how I discovered this novel, but I'm oh so glad I did! This may be my favorite book of 2023. The story of Isadora Bentley is adorable! I immediately fell in love with her character and wanted her to succeed in her experiment to discover true happiness. This book stirred a lot of self-reflection. Am I truly happy? What stands in the way of happiness for me? How could I bring more joy into my life?

Isadora Bentley is an outstanding researcher. Her data-driven life is safe and predictable, but also somewhat empty. While birthday shopping, a tabloid jumps out at her. It contains an article offering "Thirty-One Ways to Be Happy." Convinced it is a bunch of hogwash, she sets out to prove the hypothesis wrong. Yet, as she walks through the steps, her world begins to widen and past pains begin to heal. Soon she finds herself surrounded by new friends (an elderly man pining for his dead wife, a neighbor with a passel of kids, and a new research relationship with a professor). "No falling for that risky, romantic trap again," she declares. Life has burned her before and she is determined to insulate herself from pain. But in order to achieve happiness, you must risk the pain of loving and opening yourself up to others.

I loved every character. As usual, my husband responded to my enthusiastic descriptions with his standard, "But none of this is real, right?" Even though it is just a novel, it induced all kinds of introspection and growth as I read. It was a delight to walk a mile in Isadora's shoes and to feel the angst of going out of her comfort zone to seek what she truly desires and deserves. I couldn't help but root for her and for her whole team. Great story. Excellent writing. Important truths. Clean! Book club questions provided at the end of the novel. I'm pretty sure I'll re-read this one!

No comments: