Monday, October 9, 2023

Book Review: Cassandra in Reverse

Some characters in novels stay with you long after you close the book. I'm sure I'll feel that way about Cassandra. If you adored the quirky Eleanor Oliphant in Gail Honeyman's Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, you will take to Cassandra as quickly as I did. She is an endearing protagonist. I couldn't help but root for her to get her life straightened out.

I might have highly recommended Cassandra in Reverse, if not for the same dilemma I approach with most modern bestselling novels. The initial pages struck right out the gate with cursing and casual sex. Remembering the accolades, I skimmed past and barreled on. The book is compulsively readable. I read it in two days. I set things aside to open the book again.

The premise offers a unique take on time-travel. But it was a deep love for the main character that kept me turning pages late into the night (and I retire early and rise early). Cassandra is very particular. When her life gets upended by multiple unexpected challenges (job, boyfriend, housing disruption), she discovers an ability to re-set the clock. She is determined to figure out what it is about her that turns people away and how to erase the bad things. My heart ached for this oddball, trying to understand the social graces others take for granted. Plus, I wanted to discover what she was running from. She might be prickly, but in the end, you just want to hug her and make everything okay.

Content Caution: 📒 - language, sex

Here's a clip of the author pitching the book's premise. I loved the premise, adored the protagonist, and enjoyed the plot.




1 comment:

Gretchen said...



I've plowed through numerous books, even those that I didn't care for the writing style or plot, only because I was so engaged with the protagonist. My TBR is long. Going to pass on this one. Thanks for the review!