Thursday, October 12, 2023

Book Review: The Hideaway

I tried another Lauren K. Denton book using my Hoopla account from my library. While I really enjoyed A Place to Land, I didn't latch onto this one as quickly or completely. The Hideaway tells the story of a woman whose eccentric grandmother dies and leaves her a bed-and-breakfast property. They label it "a southern and Christian-themed book." I can't say what they felt was Christian about the book. If you enjoy women's fiction set in southern states, this might be a good bet for you.

The story alternates between the grandmother (Mags) and the granddaughter (Sara). Sara is a boutique owner in New Orleans. Raised by her grandmother after her parents died in a car accident, Sara got out of Sweet Bay, Alabama, as soon as she could. In returning to hear the will, she embarks on a mission to carry out Mags' dying wish. Mags requested she restore the Hideaway. In the process, she finds love and learns more about her grandmother's complicated story. While the story was absorbing, it just didn't resonate as much as A Place to Land (and wasn't as clean, either).

1 comment:

Gretchen said...


It's interesting that there are some readers who love books that embrace southern culture. This book doesn't sound like it would grab me.