Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Book Review: God's Smuggler to China

This 1981 book, God's Smuggler to China, by Brother David, has a foreward by Brother Andrew (the original "God's Smuggler"). In both ministries, the Lord closed the eyes of border guards so Bibles could infiltrate closed countries. Once again, God laid a burden upon the heart of His disciple to take God's Word where it was needed. Many doubted he could penetrate the closed borders of China, but God does the impossible time and time again. Brother David's convictions remained undaunted. 

I did not take the time to note various examples of God's abundant provision. However, I do recall a story of young children whose parents were killed or imprisoned. They had one small allotment of rice left, but they cooked it up, deciding to depend on God for food the following day. Like the Biblical story, every day they approached the jar of rice (in scripture it was oil), there remained enough for another day. Whether unexpected commotions drew the border patrol workers away or comments diverted them, God accomplished the impossible to get His Word into China.

There may come a time when American believers face similar persecutions. For now, we seem very soft. Too many have Bibles and fail to even open them. Do we value and honor our Bibles the way we should? Would we be willing to face torture without denying Christ? These books about the Open Doors ministries will lead you to consider the depth of your devotion. I'm glad I had both books on my shelves to supplement my devotional reading. For me, I will increase my prayer efforts for the persecuted Church.

No comments: