Friday, November 9, 2018

Book Review: Hiking Through

Sometimes book recommendations come from unexpected and obscure sources. My cousin Karin (who came to visit back in July) has a young relative who is thru-hiking along the Appalachian Trail. She keeps us up-to-date with his progress, and in the comments one friend mentioned a book written by a man who hiked the AT after losing his wife. I immediately checked our library and secured a copy of Paul Stutzman's Hiking Through: One Man's Journey to Peace and Freedom on the Appalachian Trail.

It must be hard to write a memoir of the trail experience because although each day brings new adventure for the hiker, a reader requires constant escapades to maintain their attention. I worried the day-to-day monotony of hiking would flag my interest. However, Stutzman did a decent job of providing stories and details that kept me turning pages. I appreciated his reflective writing. I marveled at the joy of encountering "trail magic," small gifts and sustenance provided by complete strangers to hikers along the trail. It made me wish I lived close to such a thoroughfare and could pop in unannounced and make someone's day with a hot cup of coffee or a small candy bar for warmth and energy.

I know of a remarkable 17-year-old who has only months to live due to an unceasing battle with cancer. She's fully aware that her journey is ending (for an outstanding Riley Children's Hospital blog article/video about her own FUNeral that she planned to celebrate her life and say good-bye intentionally click here). I wrestle with what to say. For one thing, she's merely an acquaintance. For another, I don't want my words to sound trite or, worse, wounding. But I thought one passage in this book spoke particularly to this young girl's dilemma:

"Many folks remain stuck in grief because they can't comprehend why God would take their loved ones. We get angry with God and question why He would subject us to such terrible loss. But if it were up to us ... we would never choose it. We don't want to die and we don't want our loved ones to die... Each of us lives in a small slice of measured time, inserted here between eternity past and a never-ending life hereafter. From the moment of your birth, death becomes inevitable. Your little slice of time is so fleeting. Whether you live on this planet ten years or eighty is insignificant to God. What is significant is your choice of paths that will lead you to the end of your time here...

"We question, Why, God, why? Each ... must answer one question ... Is God in control or not? If you believe He is in control, then He knows the whys and the whens and the wheres of your loss."

Basically, through his journey, Stutzman came to accept the loss of his wife and to bask in the love of his heavenly Father. In his book, he urges readers to make the most of the time they have and to decide for themselves whether they will trust God is in control. While we may never understand the purposes in the brevity of some lives, I agree with Stutzman. God has a purpose, a plan, and even a provision for those left behind; He is sufficient and He is sovereign.

While I may never feel an urge to hike across the country several thousand miles, I can appreciate what he went through and how much he gained from the experience. I also noted at the back that Stutzman has a follow-up book that chronicles a further adventure biking coast-to-coast across America. It is comforting to know that through books I can hitch a ride for someone else's grand adventure.

No comments: