Friday, July 3, 2009

May the Scraps of my Life Be Woven Together to Create a Thing of Beauty

My sister and I are carbon opposites. If you saw us, you would doubt that we were indeed sisters (although, there is one photo on my mother's wall, taken at my sister's wedding where our heads are craned in toward one another and our faces look almost identical, merely graced with dark and light hair). We have always been different. Whether that is a grace or a burden, depends upon the timing of consideration.

A few days ago, my sister expressed some anxiety over her new position with The Salvation Army. She went from being a Divisional Youth Secretary (where she was involved with planning activities and camps for young people - something which is, undoubtedly, her forte!) - to sharing a city commander's position with her husband. It literally blew me away to hear her tossing out the term "worthless."

My sister is type A. When ES and I visited her, during their appointment in Key West, Florida, she hustled all three of her children in and out of showers every morning and night, had their clothes laid out for them the night before, disciplined at the moment discipline was needed, rallied her children to pick up their own mess as soon as they finished playing, preached Sunday morning's sermon, and juggled everything on her plate with extraordinary aplomb.

My best guess is that she is feeling lost as to her place in this new appointment. She is probably wanting to jump in and get things done. That is her style. That is her strength.

Which brings me again to the fact that she and I are carbon opposites. Ever since I read of her discouragement, I have been sinking myself. You see, if she can feel worthless, what in the world should I be feeling about my own life.

Apart from loving my boys with every fiber of my being, I don't really have much to show for my days. Indeed, they have left for another weekend visit with my in-laws and I am here, alone, bracing myself for another weekend of cleaning. I hate cleaning. I hate sorting. I have a hard time getting rid of things, even if, in theory, I desire the simplicity that my husband craves for our lives.

The thing is, if I could manage to organize myself better during the regular days, then I would not need these extra weekends trying to catch up on what should really be able to be accomplished in the normal hours of my housewife work-week. However, I don't organize my time well. I am anything but a type A. I find it hard to motivate myself to pick up the endless messes (or even to rally the troops to pick up their own messes), to plan a schedule of meals and have it placed on the table at a set time in the evening, or to get my children in their beds on time. I live a loosey-goosey existence. A lot of what I do depends on what I feel like at the moment. I lack self-discipline. I lack passion and vision for what I want my role to be.

Instead, I spend much of my days fighting my role (even though it is one that I personally campaigned for - if we were going to have more children, I did NOT want those children to be raised by day care workers instead of myself). I resent the expectations that I keep an immaculate house. I resent it mostly, because I feel incapable of ever living up to those expectations.

Then there are my own personal goals and dreams. Somehow, parenthood (and I understand that this is a SEASON - I know I am giving up parts of myself to focus on my children while they are still small because it goes by in a flash) has side-lined any of the things I value and enjoy. Before I became a parent, I made lists of things I wanted to accomplish in life. Now, the thought of making a list of things I want to accomplish seems daunting, unless it is a list of things I want to do with my boys before they no longer are willing to spend time with me (oh, we have been dreaming this week of a trip to Canada next spring to see the thousands of red-sided garter snakes in their snake pits at the Narcisse Wildlife Management Area!).

As I was looking at the disaster, which is my home, waiting to be tamed, I took my classic route of avoidance and logged on to read blogs. One blog I enjoy (but only visit every couple of months or so) is written by April, and is called The Two Regrets. She has four children and relishes every moment of her summer breaks with them (last summer I enjoyed reading of their trip to Mackinac Island). Of course, when I read of her successful trips, I find myself wishing my children were more like her children (with a love of reading and calm dispositions), and that seems like kind of a crummy thing to put upon them (to wish they were something other than what they are).

There are many things I appreciate about April's blog. She loves words and quilting, and her writing is often beautifully direct.

When I read this post, I began to feel a ray of hope. My life is certainly a pile of scraps on the floor. I love how she brought this image together of the quilt - a thing of beauty made of scraps stitched together during hours of loving, painstaking work.

However, I lack two things. I lack her network of supportive women (all stitching away, with her) and a belief that I, myself, am the one sewing these scraps into a thing of beauty. If I were at the helm (don't know if a sewing machine really has a helm - ha!), even with the help of others, my machine would, no doubt, get jammed and create a whole new mess.

Thankfully, I am relying on the Lord. I certainly pray that this is what the Lord is going to accomplish with my scraps. Moreover, if He is the designer, then I can rest assured that the final product will be good - even if at times I feel like all the scraps of my life are dull pieces of uninteresting, worthless fabric.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

You & your sister are doing something funny. You're beating yourself up for not being 'type A' like her. She would undoubtedly be feeling better about herself if she could could 'hang loose' a little better like you.

I'm a 'hang loose' mama raising a completely stressed-out type A kid. It's a thing to behold.

I guess I'm wondering why you feel pressured to live in a palace. There are a couple of things I could say about this.

#1. You have a full-time job, too. If anything, our jobs never end. Hubbies work all day and then get to come home & relax at night. The only time I get to relax without being interrupted every 25 seconds is when I am ALONE, which hardly ever happens (right now is a case in point. I am being interrupted by hubby or a kid with every LINE I TYPE here).

#2. If anyone else around there wants to live in an immaculate palace, they can either help or figure out the money for a maid.

My house is pretty darn clean most of the time. Right now it's not so great because I need to declutter, and this is my next point.

You can't clean clutter. All you can do is get rid of it.

When I get totally on-mission to get rid of clutter, my family freaks out a little. But they love the results. Right now I need to get on-mission again. When you can get decluttered, it's like having a house that 75% cleans itself. Keeping up with the constant clutter is the hard part.

In the end, I'm not convinced that a working mom who is completely militant with her kids is a role model, or anything to emulate or be jealous of. However organized it looks on the outside, I would be willing to be almost anything that her kids would love for her to just spontaneously tickle-fight them.

I'm not trying to criticize your sister. To be honest, I would love it if I could be a little more motivated to stay on a schedule and always mop on Monday and all that. My daughter hasn't had a bath in 4 days - I am so ashamed of myself. Then again, it is summer and she is FINE. We can't do this during the school year.

The thing is, being the way we are has tons of perks, too. I don't freak out when the plan changes. I don't lose my mind when the kids make a mess. I am fun and spontaneous and even if my house is a total disaster, I am always glad that you stopped by, and will invite you in to have a cup of coffee in my messy house with me.

Embrace what you are, FIRST. Until you do this, and see how great you are AS YOU ARE, you can't work on those things that could use some work.

Once you realize how great you are with this personality, you can help encourage your sister that it is OKAY DOKAY to not be in control every minute, and to enjoy learning her new job, even if it doesn't run smoothly every minute. Encourage her to skip the baths and wrestle several dirty kids right before bedtime even though it's the exact wrong thing at the exact wrong time.

I grew up being a type A because it was foisted on me. I didn't realize who I really was until I was in my mid-20s. When I see my daughter all twisted up inside because she really needs to know exactly what time we are going to the grocery store (she is 8 years old), I see how lucky she is to be born to a mom who will help her calm down a little, learn to roll with the punches.

I think being an Okay Dokay mom rocks. I'm a good mom. My kitchen floor is covered is wood shavings and hubby has left bits & bobs from his latest project ALL OVER my island. If I needed to cook something right now I would be S.O.L. and have to do 30 minutes of pick up & cleaning first.

But we're having a good day together today. It doesn't matter that the house is a little dirty. My daughter went from being 1 year old to a 3rd grader overnight. Next time I blink she'll be going to prom. Someday my house will be clean (sorry this is so cliche but it is so true) because it will be empty of kids. I'm going to enjoy them now.

Wendy Hill said...

Wendy - You have left the longest comment I've ever received. Thank you.

I worry that in my down moment, I portrayed things in a stilted light. I have no desire to be Type A like my sister, but I navigate the tricky waters of living with/being married to a Type A individual, who very much wishes I were more Type A. My desire to maintain better order is motivated in part by a desire to please my husband, but even more a desire to relieve the tension which reigns in our home as a result of our (the boys and myself) more laid-back ways.

#1) Yes, my job is about 15/7 - definitely equivalent to two full-time jobs. However, my husband feels like he works (he actually works part-time) and then comes home to more work (he often prepares dinner and helps getting the kids to bed). Needless to say, we both need more time for ourselves and don't really know how to make that happen.

#2) My husband has provided money for us to have a housekeeper come in to help us once a month (however, I am slow to call and have her come because, as you say, clutter is my main problem). In order to have her come, I have to have all the toys, books, endless messes picked up first. That is what I cannot seem to keep a lid on. Granted, my two year old makes a full-time job of dumping every basket and pile and game that he sees from the time he gets up. This will pass, thankfully.

I wholeheartedly agree about the benefits of getting rid of excess things. I have a hard time doing it. Why I cling to things is something I haven't figured out yet.

I guess what I am realizing is that the predominant thing I feel with my husband is guilt. Guilt that I am never enough to live up to his expectations. I have a feeling that this is partly my own fault, but also something he directs towards me to make up for the fact that he is not everything he should be.

And now I fear that I have laid too much on the table for the whole world to see. So, I should stop and go back to light-hearted posts.

Wendy said...

Oh, I wish I had a good answer to it all. We go through this, too. It is all too easy for them to think our jobs are "so easy" and expect far more from us than they could ever deliver. It's very hard. We're in this now, so I have no good answers.

Recently I heard from another blogger who said she was tired of reading all this tee-hee-hee bloggers who always have it all together. So don't worry. Someone (like me) will read this & say, "oh, it's not just me!"

Unknown said...

This is so interesting, since I've been wondering about my role in life as well. So far the conclusion I've come to is that I place a lot of expectations on myself and I never live up to them.

What I am attempting to do is realize who I am and what my natural tendencies are. I think when I accept that, I can start to feel good about my accomplishments. I think that's an effort to set myself up for success.

But it's always a work in progress and it's hard to live in a world that measures success with material items.