Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Live from CBLI, it's Tuesday Afternoon

I have been trying, since I arrived at CBLI, to access the internet. Most of the time, I have been unable to (either because the connection isn't strong enough, or because the system is overloaded with people). My mind has been full of ideas and emotions, but I haven't been able to get them down, not even in a word file.

Perhaps it is merely the nature of camp life, but my overwhelming need (and thankfully, the need of my two little guys) has been for SLEEP! I have slept more than I would at home and yet every day find myself yawning more and more. One of my goals for CBLI, was to recharge my physical and spiritual batteries. I believe I am meeting that goal.

I love the feeling that I get when I am driving to CBLI. It is like the world is wide open in front of me. We had moments of this while driving. The sky was a beautiful blue, filled with numerous puffy clouds.

Then came the construction and the traffic jams. We were still headed in a glorious direction, but were momentarily (sometimes it felt quite lengthy, instead of momentary) frustrated from reaching our goal.

This is how camp tends to go with me. Highs and lows. Feelings of great spiritual stirring, mixed with times of loneliness and ache. Excitement over where we're headed, mixed with frustration that I haven't yet arrived.

We were greatly blessed in our housing this year. We received a room in the Wonderland Lodge(the equivalent of a large hotel room). Indeed, Trevor been inviting people to our room all week, telling them that we are in the big hotel, in room 110. It is very spacious. Plus, it is conveniently located in the same building where the two boys' classes meet.

The programs so far have been outstanding as well. The first evening, kicked off with a theatrical rendering of the story of David and Goliath, by Lt. Colonel Eddie Hobgood. The second evening offered another theatrical performance, this time telling the story of "Joe the Turk," a figure of Salvation Army history.

The Sunday services featured the preaching of Commissioners Alex and Inge Hughes. During the morning service, I noticed Bryce head towards the altar during the altar call at the end of the service. I was able to find my nephew, Eric, and ask him to pray with Bryce. As I sat nearby, praying for my son, that God would draw him close and move in his life, I became overwhelmed with the depth of God's love for ME. I was aware of the intensity of my own love for my son and began to think about how he is merely on loan to me and that, as much as I love Bryce, God loves him even more. Suddenly, my own doubts concerning God's love for me were quelled.

Then, last night, we enjoyed the rousing preaching of Captain Terry Masango (from Zimbabwe, serving as a missionary here in the States, in the Western Territory). He preached of Ezekiel's encounter with the valley of dry bones. Ezekiel, of his own strength, could not raise an army from the dry bones, but he held unswerving belief and conviction that God could do that work. Captain Masango then boldly asked if any individuals were dry and in need of the Holy Spirit's filling. The altar was lined with young people, and again, my son, headed forward, this time with a group of fellow teens.

My morning classes have been equally profitable. My first class of the day is entitled, "Igniting the Hope Within You," and has been taught by Linda Himes. This class was very much like putting together a puzzle full of small pieces and then standing back to look at the whole picture. We began with the story of Ruth and looked at the role of the kinsman redeemer. Then, in following Scriptures from Genesis through Revelation, we reviewed God's plan and His fulfillment of the role as our Kinsman Redeemer. It was a powerful lesson and one I will return to digest more fully, I'm sure.

The Bible class has been led by Commissioner Alex Hughes. With his pleasant Scottish lilt, he has inspired us to look at God's vision for the church. Time and again, I seem to be reminded that the power for creating the changes God desires in men's hearts and minds comes only from the Lord.

Of course, we have been enjoying our afternoon free times as well. Saturday and Sunday, I thought I would never be able to drag my boys away from the pool. They had such a good time (despite my inability to handle long hours in the sun). And every single afternoon, I have managed to get them both down for a nap. In fact, this is the first time they have napped and I have remained awake. So, we are getting sleep at night and in the afternoons.

I have hopes to get them down by the lake some time when another camper is fishing. Todd Thielke, who was always so good to fish with Bryce when he was small, has offered to let the little boys watch him fish - since I intentionally failed to bring our rods this year. I wasn't quite up to the prospect of fish hooks and piers mixed with two and four-year-old boys. I would also like to take them on a paddle boat ride before the camp ends. Plus, we haven't even made it to the snack bar once yet (ah, I love walking from their classes back to our rooms - thereby not even passing the snack bar, where people wait, in mosquito-laden darkness to purchase ice cream cones and candy bars).

When the boys awaken from this nap, we are going down to the big field to enjoy a cook-out and a "western hoe-down." We have been told this will include square dancing, line dancing, pony rides, a petting zoo, games and activities, followed by a showing of the movie, "Toy Story." Hopefully, I will remember to bring my camera to snag some photos of this festive family time.

For now, since the boys are still snoozing, I think I will join them and get just a bit more sleep. It is probably a good thing that I have been unable to access the internet. The e-mails and blogs will wait, while I recharge with much-needed rest. What a blessing CBLI is, and has been, for my family!

3 comments:

The Prodigal Tourist said...

For some reason being outdoors all day does make you sleep better--take advantage of it, come back nice and rested! And enjoy the time off.

Unknown said...

For some reason it never occurred to me that tons of other people at that camp would want internet access as well. I had to laugh at myself thinking you were the only one trying to get a connection!

It would be so difficult for me to have your computer and not be able to access a Word file! Auugghhh! I guess that's when you pull out paper and pencil, but oy! If you have the computer sitting right there...

Just reading about your experiences is making me wonder about a Bible study for me. I think there's a Women's group that meets at my church during the school year, I might actually check that out this year.

I'm very much an introvert so that's a big step for me, although I am trying to go against the norm to broaden my own horizons.

Great recap -- thanks for sharing!

Wendy Hill said...

Prodigal Tourist - I'm guessing you are right. The outdoor activity, extra walking, full schedule and extra stimulation all left me quite ready for sleep.

CG - It would bring a big smile on my face to think of you joining a Bible study. Broaden your horizons and then let me know how it goes. I only wish I could attend a Bible study with you. That would be cool. And I still have visions of you attending CBLI with your three girls (and rooming right next door to me!).

I would have managed a further CBLI follow-up today, if I hadn't spent so much time enjoying your VIP lounge. What a hoot that was (but now I'd be too intimidated if you ever were to ask me to guest host your lounge)!