Thursday, August 6, 2009

Funny Boy!

I keep hoping to get enough time and energy to give a post-CBLI follow-up, but there is so much to say and too little time or energy to get it done. Thankfully, I did finally finish up all the laundry from our trip. Plus, I worked extra hard to get everything (except the clean laundry) put away today (hubby was convinced it would all sit out for at least a full week).

So, tonight (after a wonderful dinner out with my husband to celebrate our 19th anniversary) I am merely going to share a few bite-sized tid-bits from my MS during CBLI.

He was a big hit around camp because everyone could clearly see how much he loves snakes. He brought three rubber snakes, one wooden, and one stuffed snake with him. Every time we were ready to leave for class, he would insist on bringing one. Sometimes, in the dining hall, I would have to wrap the snake around his neck so that he could focus his two hands on carrying his own tray.

One day, his teacher came to me and said she just had to share what he had said during the class. He told her that God made him special because He knew that there needed to be someone to love snakes and spiders. That he does. That he does.

The day before we left, he was outside and came to show me a wolf spider he had caught. He was allowing it to crawl all over his hands. Yikes! God must have made him special, because there's no way in the world, I would willingly allow any kind of spider to crawl on me.

Many people were also impressed with his creativity (in fact, he won an award in his class for being the most creative student). He was constantly seeing things and saying, "Hey, I could make a craft out of that."

So, one afternoon, we had gone down to the lakefront to take a paddle boat ride. He noticed a foot long piece of rope (the thick kind used to secure the boats). He brought it over to me and asked if he could have it to make a craft (no doubt, a snake). I told him he had to ask the dock workers.

He turned and asked them if he could have the piece of rope. One dock worker teasingly replied, "Yeah, but it's going to cost you!"

I tried to explain to MS. "He means you have to give him something. What do you have that you could give him for the rope?"

He paused and thought for a moment, then said, "I'm just going to steal it," and took off running.

We all stood there cracking up. He did finally come back (all grins) and offered up a "thank-you."

Truly, I think both ES and MS thought that the lakefront was the absolute best place to be at camp!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

19 years?! You MUST have been a child bride. Wow and congratulations!

I love your son's answer! I think it's clear why God made me special. Someone has to rock a ponytail while wearing Converse low tops.

I got that one in the bag.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! ~Karin

Wendy Hill said...

CG - Hardly, I was a quarter of a century old already!

Yes, you do rock a ponytail, and God also knew I needed those therapeautic visits to the VIP lounge. Thanks for being YOU!

Karin - Thanks for the congrats and the best wishes for my upcoming trip back to camp for the CMI reunion. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly and nobody will fall ill at the last moment.