Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Book Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society



I love reading correspondence, even when it's addressed to someone else. That's why I enjoyed my college job at the Marion E. Wade Collection, transcribing C. S. Lewis' personal letters. Letters contain interesting tid-bits, relational building blocks, and thoughtful life evaluations.

When I tried to write an epistolary novel, I researched many books in that style. I relished the books of Kate and Sarah Klise. Another favorite epistolary novel was Love, Ruby Lavender. I believe The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society appealed for the same reasons.

Unfortunately, I read this book before leaving for camp (CBLI). Since I returned it to the library prior to camp, my brain is fuzzy for writing this review. Plus, with so many other well-written reviews, I worry I've nothing worthwhile to add. I enjoyed the book. Yet, I don't think I'd say it is among the top books read this year.

The book includes correspondence between columnist Juliet Ashton and a group with a mouthful of a name. At least this colorful name lent a unique title for the book. The correspondence kicks off when one member, Dawsey Adams, notes the columnist's name and address in a second-hand book he purchased. Sensing a kindred soul, he dashes a letter off to her.

Side note: Now, wouldn't that be fun to experience? Imagine opening your mail to discover a letter from a complete stranger. The letter is full of comments regarding a book you discarded. I rarely discard books. Still, it would be great fun to interact with someone else who feels passionate about a shared reading experience.

My blogging friend, Lucy, recently mentioned an interesting reading group to which she belongs. The five participants each select a book and read it, while making notes in the margin. Lucy will receive her original book back, filled with the notes of her other four friends. Sounds intriguing!

But back to the book: Dawsey explains this strangely named literary society's origins. They meet during the German occupation on the island of Guernsey. Juliet is so fascinated by his tale and further correspondence from the group, she journeys to Guernsey to conduct more research. She feels compelled to write about their experiences. As she digs deep into their problems, she stirs up a few of her own.

The author's storytelling ability is profound. Although the beginning seemed slow, once I got mid-way into the book, I cared for the well-drawn characters. Plus, the book offered an interesting view into life during war-time occupation. The final positive? It provided clear evidence of how books enrich our lives. It was a great read.

No comments: