Monday, August 24, 2009

Book Recommendations from the CBLI Guest

I'm always on the lookout for good reading. I mentioned before that I discovered Bill Bryson when a special guest at CBLI (Paul Rader?) spoke of his book, I'm a Stranger Here Myself. This book appealed to him because he was also returning to the United States after many years of living in other countries.

This year, I decided to actively seek out book recommendations from the CBLI guest speaker. The guests this year were Commissioners Alex and Inge Hughes. There were two books I jotted down during various Bible classes. One was In God We Doubt: Confessions of a Failed Atheist, by John Humphries. Another was William Beckham's Redefining Revival. Since my husband has always had a keen interest in apologetics, I may purchase the Humphries book for him.

When I approached Commissioner Hughes to ask for his top five book recommendations, he asked if I was interested in books concerning leadership. It was an understandable assumption, given that I was at a "leadership institute," but I indicated that I was merely interested in what he considered to be profitable books for any Christian to read.

For his first suggestion, he reiterated the two books he had already mentioned in his classes. Next, he asked if I had read Philip Yancey's book on grace. I had and admitted that I have enjoyed almost all of Yancey's books. His third suggestion was to read anything by Henri Nouwen and his fourth, any books by Max Lucado. The final suggestion was to read the books of Eugene Peterson, especially the two concerning David and Jonah (Leap Over a Wall and Under the Unpredictable Plant).

To be honest, I think I would hate to have this question posed to me. How could I ever narrow book suggestions down to just five? Still, I think his suggestions are sound and I will try to carve some time for those books in the future.

If you were asked to recommend five profitable books, which would you suggest?

No comments: