Sunday, August 9, 2009

More CBLI (With Photos) - Part II

The Tuesday evening Western Hoedown Family Night turned out to be a lot of fun, as well. After a picnic cookout, numerous activities were available. At each activity, the participant received a ticket. There were pony rides (my boys wouldn't even consider it, but if I had a daughter, I'm betting she would have been in the line several times), stick horse races, watermelon seed spitting competitions, a jail (which required $1 bail, with proceeds going to the missionary collection), a beaded bandana craft (which Trevor tried), face painting and a spot where you could get a family photo taken.

If my scanner worked, I would scan the professional photo they took at that booth. Instead, here is a photo a friend snapped of us on our way down to the festivities.


I think my boys enjoyed the petting zoo the most, though. We returned to that area time and again. At one point, Sean was holding a baby chick and quietly set it down on the ground. Mayhem ensued as everyone around tried to wrangle the baby chick to come out from under the wagon where most of the animals were penned.


At the end of the activities, we accumulated enough tickets for Sean to purchase a lovely hardback Scholastic book on Bikes, Cars, Trucks, and Trains and Trevor to purchase a truck from the county store.

The boys didn't last long for that evening's viewing of "Toy Story 2", but the following evening (when most of the camp was enjoying a day at Great America) they sat still through an entire showing of "Journey to the Center of the Earth." Go figure!

The other meeting they couldn't possibly manage was the Saturday evening Kids program. I managed to keep them quiet and seated long enough for them to watch the videos of highlights of their individual programs (2s - 3s and 4s - 5s). Sean seemed to be in so many of the photos. He especially loved the ball pit. At the end of the video for his track, there is an adorable image of Trevor and Sean on the hayride, Trevor with his arm draped protectively over Sean. If you would like to view these brief videos click here, and toggle over to the 13 minute mark. This is the Saturday evening program (they have begun streaming the programs live so people at home can watch). The videos are introduced around the 13 minute mark and are about five minutes long, each.

It is actually quite cool that they are now offering videos of the meetings on line. My parents were able to watch a few meetings live from their computers. One of the highlights of the final Sunday morning service was a drama presented by the teens. It was a very powerful experience and one I highly recommend viewing. During this same service, a woman sang a Nicole Nordeman song, that I am determined to find. Thankfully, I can watch it all over again and gain clues to help find it.

Still, it doesn't beat being there! For example, it was such a stirring blessing to sing "The Days of Elijah" in the first Sunday morning meeting - at the 8:40 mark - yet, when you watch it on-line, it cannot carry the intense feeling you get singing it in the midst of the crowded sanctuary. It was amazing and so worshipful!

We had such a wonderful time at CBLI this year. The food was especially good this year. There were loads of options and I was surprised by how much fruit was available. As mentioned before, we ate very well and I ate a tad too many desserts. I think my all-time favorites are their monster cookies. The cook was very friendly this year. Several times, he offered to carry trays for families or would stop by and ask if we needed anything. And, mealtimes were so much easier this year, now that I have a 2-1/2 year old and a 4-1/2 year old. No stroller to deal with. Both boys fed themselves for the most part. Trevor even enjoyed the privilege of carrying his own tray up to the counter and dumping silverware in the big bucket of water (sorry for those individuals who may have been splashed when he enjoyed it a bit too much).

Plus (a big PLUS), thankfully, no sickness this year! I was remembering last year (and a highlight I failed to mention - probably because it was just too over the top). On our way home from last year's CBLI, I had to administer Trevor's eye drops for his pink eye. At the camp, I had been placing him on the floor and holding him down to get them in. This time, I didn't want to put him on the McDonald's floor, so I attempted to give him the drops while seated in his car seat in the van. Not only did we attract an audience (because the kid was shrieking like I was attempting to kill him, not rid him of infection), but he threw up all over his clothes and his car seat. Ah, aren't kids delightful?

So, as I wrap up this year's CBLI, I have to say it was a really good year. Of course, I'm still wishing there were some way to change the focus of this event. I understand that the purpose of CBLI is to nurture leadership within The Salvation Army. I appreciate the many years I have been allowed to attend (despite my lack of leadership responsibility within The Army). But, every year, I find myself wishing I could bring along someone else, another family, to be blessed by this splendid opportunity. If I could choose anyone, right now, it would be to bring Cardiogirl and her girls along with us next year. Wouldn't that be a fabulous vision for such an encampment. The theme could be "each one reach one!" At least I can hope that others are blessed by experiencing it via my blog!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Look at you marketing your idea! I like that -- Each one reach one.

I'm telling you, after reading your account of the camp I'm almost ready to sign up. My only real concern is dealing with bedtime. Mr. C is the one who works with them the most.

I turn out the lights and say, "Thank you, good night!" and walk away.