Sunday, August 30, 2009

Book Review: The Castle in the Attic

I originally picked this up at the library, intending to play it for my boys before bed when we were out at camp together. However, by the time we arrived back at our room in the evening it always seemed so late already, that I skipped bedtime stories altogether. Thus, as I headed off to the CMI alumni weekend, I grabbed the children's book CD's, as well, and ended up listening to it by myself as I drove.

This would make a very good read-aloud story for use in classrooms (probably 2nd-4th grades). Although it features a boy as the protagonist, I do believe that girls would be equally interested in this story. Plus, it touches on enough common childhood problems (self-confidence issues, loss of a friend, latch-key situations) that it would appeal to any child.

William is devastated when he learns that Mrs. Phillips, his nanny/housekeeper, will be moving back to England. She feels that he is old enough to fend for himself, despite the fact that both of his parents work jobs with demanding hours. He determines to find a way to keep her with him.

As a parting gift, Mrs. Phillips gives William a life-like miniature castle. He is instructed to open the box containing the white knight when he is alone. When the white knight comes to life, he draws William into an adventure that tests Williams inner resources.

No comments: