Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Bit of This and That

Tomorrow morning, ES starts school for his 8th grade year. It seems impossible that his summer is already over. The little boys are actually jealous (which ES can't understand). YS keeps begging to go to school and meet his new teacher. I'm guessing CBLI got them in the mood. Alas, they will have to wait two more weeks.

Today, we made another trek to the park. After walking the trail (yes, MS's bike chain broke again, before we completed the walk) the little boys were eager to play at the playground.

This requires a brief side-note: When we were returning from CBLI, we decided we didn't want to travel through Chicago again. I had a book to return to a friend in DeKalb, so I decided to drive home via DeKalb (not exactly a straight line, but quite fun). Immediately, MS asked if we could go to the Hopkins Park pool. He was not quite two when we moved, but he has such fond memories of our times at that pool. We decided to drop ES off at a friend's house and spend three hours at the pool.

On the way to the pool, I called my friend, Renee Olsen, to see if she might want to meet us there. Alas, her kids were already occupied with something, but she invited us for dinner. We had such a wonderful visit with the Olsens that my little boys have been talking about it every day and asking why we can't just go back to their house to play. The Olsens have a marvelous back yard and swing set. One of their daughters taught MS to swing without any pushes from an adult. Now he is constantly begging to go to the park so he can show off this skill.

So, of course, today he ran to the swings, eager to impress. There was a girl on the swings being pushed by her grandfather. She began to talk to MS and their exchange has left me chuckling all day.

She: "My grandpa can give you a push."

He: "No thanks, I know how to get started all by myself and go really high. My friend, Karissa, showed me how. I'm really good at pumping now."

She: "What's your name?"

He answered.

She: "That's a very nice name."

He: "How old are you?"

She: "Six. How old are you?"

He: "I'm four."

She: "Oh good! I like young people."

He went on to offer her a chocolate for the person who could swing the highest. This was something he kept doing during CBLI. He would say, "First person to the door gets a chocolate." Wish he had his own chocolate to be doling out!

Still, I felt like offering him a chocolate later in the afternoon. He was stung by a bee. The first time he was stung (at CBLI) two years ago, he had an allergic reaction and ran a high fever for a few days. I have tried to impress upon him that he might have another allergic reaction if stung again. But, this can't stop a creature lover.

I immediately called the doctor's office to ask what I should look for as a sign to get help. I have been watching his lips and tongue for swelling. Thankfully, he is only complaining of pain at the sting site. No fevers. No swelling. No itching. What a relief. Now that, deserves a chocolate! (Don't tell anyone, but I enjoyed a chocolate, too, on his behalf.)

Now if only chocolate could assuage the twinge of guilt I am feeling. Why do I feel guilty, you ask? Well, last month I wrote a post about an elderly woman who asks about my husband every time I show up at church without him. Even though I wasn't trying to be critical, I feel a horrible sense of guilt because I learned that she passed away.

I'm fairly certain there's chocolate in heaven. I mean, there has to be right? After all, it's heaven! Since she made it there before me, I hope God gives her a chocolate.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's an awesome response from the little girl -- "Oh good! I like young people."

And I love the concept of winning a chocolate. That would definitely bring out my competitive streak whether I was playing against a kid or an adult.

Ugh. I would feel tons o' guilt as well about that lady, but honestly (easy for me to say) she was a bit of a punk in life.

That's the truth.

And you were gracious in deflecting her. That's the truth, too.

She's probably got a ring of chocolate around her mouth right now anyway.

Wendy Hill said...

Oh CG, you always affirm me. Thank you. I think I may have too much of a chocolate ring around my mouth today. I joined in DQ's Children's Miracle Network fundraiser today and had a strawberries and chocolate chunk Blizzard. Then, tonight, I made banana chocolate chip bread, and it is very difficult to make without scraping the pan (and any stray chocolate bits which didn't stay fast in the loaf). I'm happy, but a bit concerned about my cholesterol.