Saturday, April 6, 2013

Book Review: It's My Life

This is the second installment in Melody Carlson's "Diary of a Teenage Girl" series, following the life of Caitlin O'Conner.  In this book, Caitlin's life is turned upside down when she goes on a mission trip to Mexico.  Having spent a summer doing mission work in the Philippines when I was a teen, I could fully relate to this aspect of the book.  As in the first book, Caitlin struggles with friendship and with her decision to set aside dating.  The book is full of realistic, engaging episodes in the life of this character who could be a real teen stepped into the pages of a book.

Once again, Melody Carlson has nailed a believable teenage voice for her main character, Caitlin O'Conner.  She places Caitlin in situations which cause her to grow and stretch.  Moreover, Caitlin causes those around her to grow and stretch as well.  Hopefully, teen readers who find themselves caught up in Caitlin's tale will be equally challenged and edified.

Still, I'm not sure I'm eager enough to continue on with this series.  It seems like more of the same sentiments hashed again in a second episode.  Although I think Caitlin is a believable character, I'm not sure I'm enamored with her enough to want to keep plugging away with the series.  I would not hesitate to recommend them to young Christian women looking for an edifying read, though.

No comments: