Saturday, April 27, 2013

Book Review: Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods

So far, this has been my favorite book in the series.  I really connected with this book and felt eager to continue reading chapter after chapter (in fact, kept putting off going to bed because I intended to read "just one more chapter").  This is also the book which provides the most social commentary on the human propensity for war, a subject Suzanne Collins treats often.

I'm not sure why I connected with this book more than the others or why I felt more accepting of Boots' (the toddler sister) involvement in the fulfillment of another prophecy.  This time, the book covers something called "The Prophecy of Blood."  It includes another cryptic prophecy and another daring quest, this time in search of a cure for a plague that is threatening all the warmbloods in the Underland.  Refusing to allow Gregor and Boots to return to the Underland alone, Gregor's mother insists upon joining them and ends up contracting the very plague they are seeking to cure (thus upping the ante for our hero).  Thus, Gregor and Boots and Ripred (the rat) and Temp (the cockroach) all head for the Vineyard of Eyes, where Nerissa promises they will meet someone who will guide them.

I think this book really benefited from riveting chapter endings.  Almost every chapter ended with some peril that caused the reader to want to press on further.  The plot development was perfect, even if the characters could have been fleshed out a bit more fully.  This book just held more suspense and action than the previous two in the series.  I am eager to tackle the fourth (and have already heard my friends rave that it was their favorite at that point).  This is definitely a series I would recommend to others (especially if you are looking for books to appeal to a wider age range - say kids from 7 all the way up to teens).

No comments: