Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Music Touches the Soul

I'm a sucker for Salvation Army brass banding.  I just love the sound of the brass instruments blending together to convey music to fortify the soul.  Thus, this morning, when I chanced upon these 15 year old twin Salvationists playing the soulful Gowans & Larson song, "I'll Not Turn Back," I had to link to it on my blog.  It is definitely worth a 3 minute listen.  But, if you are unfamiliar with the song, the words behind the music really stir the soul:

"I'll Not Turn Back

If crosses come, if it should cost me dearly,
To be the servant of my Servant Lord,
If darkness falls around the path of duty.
And men despise the Saviour I've adored.
I'll not turn back, whatever it may cost,
I'm called to live, to love and save the lost,
I'll not turn back, whatever it may cost,.
I'm called to live, to love and save the lost.
If doors should close then other doors will open,
The word of God can never be contained.
His love cannot be finally frustrated,
By narrow minds or prison bars restrained.
If tears should fall, if I am called to suffer,
If all I love men should deface, defame,
I'll not deny the One that I have followed,
Nor be ashamed to bear my Master's name."




This song makes me tear up every time. In fact, it is especially appropriate on the heels of my most recent read, Dalaina May's Yielded Captive. I couldn't find any video of the song being sung, but here's a video meant to accompany the singing of the lyrics. And again, I tear up when I try to sing along. The words are so meaningful:

No comments: