Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Book Review: Trapped

I picked up Michael Northrup's new book, Trapped, because it features a male protagonist narrator (the very point of view I am trying to master in one of my manuscripts).  The back cover boasted plenty of accolades: "An ALA/YALSA Reader's Choice List Selection," "An ALA/YALSA Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers," and "A Spring 2011 Indie Next List Selection."  USA Today calls it "compelling," Publishers Weekly calls it "a gripping disaster story," and Booklist promises "the pages will turn like wildfire."

Trapped tells the story of Scotty Weems and six other students who are trapped in their isolated high school building during a horrifying and lengthy blizzard.  If they have to spend the night in the school, at least there is a consolation prize of two hot girls thrown in the mix.  The final sentence in the back cover blurb proclaims, "As the days add up and the snow piles higher, the chances of survival seem to be slipping away, and Scotty and his friends are forced to make some devastating decisions..."

I will admit, I wondered if things were going to get so bad that the characters were going to turn on one another.  In the end, the story could basically be summed up by the blurb on the back cover.  The romance was limited and primarily featured Scotty's buddy, instead of Scotty himself.  As for the harrowing experience, it just felt predictable. 

I don't know why, but I blame myself again for not finding this story to be more "compelling."  I think my reading drive is stalling out for some reason.  It was a good book, just not as great or compelling as I expected.  I do think the author did an excellent job with voice for the narrator, but the characters seemed somewhat cardboard to me. It was a typical mix - reluctant jock, average Joe, pretty girls out of their league, nerdy weird kid, and gruff bully.  Yet, the interactions between them were fairly tame (apart from one fight based on a misunderstanding).  I tried really hard to put myself in the shoes of the characters and their dilemma, but never quite connected with the story as much as I had hoped.  I would give it 3.5 stars.  I do think it would appeal to reluctant teen male readers.

No comments: