Friday, May 3, 2013

Book Review: When You Reach Me

I blame myself for not liking this book more.  It is a Newbery Award winner, has received great reviews, and Gemma Cooper (an agent I intend to query regarding one of my manuscripts) says, "One of my all time favourite books is WHEN YOU REACH Me by Rebecca Stead. I love that it blend genres, has an amazing voice and literary feel to the writing." So why, with numerous accolades, blending genres, an amazing voice, and a literary feel, didn't I like it more? Well, I think it is because it took me so long to complete the book. This was one I picked up in audio form and, frankly, I just didn't get all that much audio time in over the last month (twenty minutes here or there when washing dishes and only when the boys weren't around because they are bothered by the volume I need in order to hear it over the running water). So, in addition to finding the pacing somewhat slow, I made the trek even slower by listening to this piece-meal over the space of three or four weeks. Not the best way to approach a book, I'm sure.

Miranda and Sal have been friends for forever, but something has shifted.  First, Sal gets punched out-of-the-blue by a boy they don't know for seemingly no reason.  Then, Sal begins to shut Miranda out of his life, choosing to spend time with his basketball instead.  Miranda tries to pick up the slack by befriending some other girls in her class and even meets and befriends the bully who attacked Sal. But in the midst of all of this, she begins receiving weird messages on small slips of paper.  The first message announces the intention to save her friend's life, but she must write a letter.  Add in the presence of a crazy man on the corner who calls her "smart girl" and you've got the beginnings of an intriguing mystery.

I did enjoy the references to Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time.  It was appropriate for the book and added support for the mystery element.  I also enjoyed the incorporation of the game show, "The Ten-Thousand Dollar Pyramid."  Each chapter title was worded in the format of the game show (although I don't think kids would totally get that connection). The characters were well-drawn and the voice was solid.  It was a bit hard to get into at the beginning and hard to follow at times, because I was listening in such small snatches.  Moreover, I did find the narrator's voice on the audio version to be a bit whiny in spots (especially when voicing the mother's dialogue). Still, I'm game to try another book by this author and plan to look for Liar & Spy next. I'm guessing I'll read it myself instead of listening, so I can hasten the process. Another plus, Liar & Spy looks like it is intended for boy readers, so I might discover another future book to read with my little guys in a few years.

2 comments:

Sheila @ The Deliberate Reader said...

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it, and hope Liar and Spy is a better fit for you.

Wendy Hill said...

Sheila - I did like it ... just not as much as I expected, with it being a Newbery Award winner and all.