Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Book Review: You Are a Writer

One of my fellow writer's group writers led me to Jeff Goins and I have been receiving his updates regularly since then.  I read his Writer's Manifesto, but didn't really feel led to write a review.  He recently started a new website called "Story Cartel," which allows readers access to manuscripts for the purposes of reviews.  I decided to check it out and the first book I selected to read and review was Jeff Goin's book, You Are a Writer (So Start Acting Like One).

I think this book would be extremely useful to someone who is just beginning to follow their dream of becoming a writer.  Every writer starts out not fully believing that they have what it takes to make other people want to read their words.  Jeff provides a pep talk encouraging the newbie to really believe they already are a writer and to buckle down and actually do the work of writing (after all if you call yourself a writer, but never write ... hmmm).  I suppose I already believe myself to be a writer, so the pep talk didn't exactly seem necessary.

Still, I think Goins had great things to say and would be encouraging to the newbie.  He emphasizes the importance of following and writing what you are passionate about.  This is the only way to find your authentic voice and your authentic voice is what the world needs to hear. 

I do think his encouragements are primarily targeting non-fiction writers.  I have no desire to go out there and write articles (apart from my book reviews), but I give myself wholeheartedly to my fiction writing (as he suggests).  The key thing I received from this book was the message to follow my passion, build connections with potential readers, and believe in the art I was meant to create.  On the whole, every writer could stand to hear another pep talk.  While nothing was brand-new to me, it was still encouraging and motivating.

The only additional thing I will add is that there are millions of people in the world who have something to say.  As the Bible says, "of making many books there is no end." (Eccl. 12:12)  I don't think you will necessarily excel as a writer because you put into practice these offered steps.  I think it does come down to timing, your willingness to show up and do what you need to do, and God's desire to make something of those words.  The process could break down in any of those spheres.  Who knows.  The important thing is to show up and be willing to be a vessel.

No comments: