Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Book Review: I Work at a Public Library

Gina Sheridan is a librarian. She's seen some crazy stuff go down at the public library. When she began blogging about her experiences, other librarians began to write in with their own stories. Thus, I Work at a Public Library: A Collection of Crazy Stories from the Stacks, came to be. Although it wasn't as funny as I had anticipated (I guess I've seen a lot more wacky stories from my times living with Salvation Army officer parents and my short time working in a Salvation Army thrift store), it was the perfect read for my time waiting for my boys to jump for an hour an a half at a trampoline place.

The book is organized by call number, telling stories about computer usage, reading habits, communication failures, telephone conversations and other topics. I think my absolute favorite stories were found in the Volumes of Gratitude chapter. Those stories melted my heart. Still, the rest was mildly amusing and worth a quick read. The blog features photos to accompany the stories (ex. three things found in returned books ... a pancake, $20, and a corn husk). Not sure why she didn't include photos in the book. It might have made it a tad more colorful.

No comments: