Friday, July 13, 2018

Book Review: Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet?

On the lookout for a wholesome audio experience, I selected Charlene Ann Baumbich's Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? I didn't even remember this author's name (I had enjoyed her book, Stray Affections, several years ago), but immediately knew I had to recommend her book to my mother-in-law. It almost felt like the book was written with my mother-in-law in mind. I really hope she seeks it out because she will relate to so many aspects of the novel.

Like my mother-in-law, the main character, Dorothy Wetstra, is in her late eighties, lives in a small Illinois town, and is contemplating a move upon the sale of her beloved farm. She begs "the big man upstairs" for His wisdom and guidance. She's a spunky old soul, just like my mother-in-law, but is still hesitant to set all these changes in motion. How will her beloved town fare if she sells her farmland to the bidding developers? Can she make the move away from everything that is familiar and safe?

The characters were delightful and the story was light and fun. I'm only sad that it seems to be the only audio title for the series in my library's collection. Still, they do have six from the series, if I'm willing to read the others in print copies. If you are seeking an uplifting and clean story featuring an older protagonist, this book holds great appeal. The series has apparently been compared to Jan Karon's Mitford books (small town North Carolina), so perhaps I will seek out more from that series (I've only read In the Company of Others and Shepherds Abiding).

No comments: