Monday, December 10, 2018

Book Gifts for a New Adult

As much as I love receiving books as gifts, I also love gifting them. Alas, my boys have never really been too thrilled to receive a book gift. They smile, say thank you, and set it aside as one of the lesser gifts. This year, although tempted to get Sean the newest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book (he's already read the library's copy and John declared it would just sit on the shelf), I will probably skip book gifts for both of my younger sons (sob). However, I took great joy in researching the gift books I have selected for my oldest, Bryce. He is now out on his own and has said that after a full day of work, he really has a limited selection of options for meals in the evenings. I scoured the library shelves first to locate the best cookbooks to meet his needs.

Spoon University's How to Feed Yourself* When You Don't Know What You're Doing (not sure he'll like the second half of that title, but ... it is what it is) offers "100 fast, cheap, and reliable recipes." Written by a couple of twenty-something girls, it is directed to new adults who are relatively new to the expectations of preparing their own meals. I love the full graphic images of the recipes and the simple "spoon tips." The recipes all seem like something my twenty-two-year-old son could easily whip up in no time. The only thing I would change about this book is the section on vegetables. They offer three easy ways to prepare them, but leave off one of the best options, in my opinion: steaming. Still, the cover is appealing, the book is resourceful, and I think he will get some good use out of it.

The second cookbook I selected, Lickety-Split Meals, gives me a little pause, but only because of the cover. It is a bit more feminine than I would like for gifting to a twenty-something male. If I had been in charge of the cover, I would have selected a minute-timer alongside the spatula and spoon, instead of a perky red-shirted woman. Yet, I still bought it because of the features that really make this cookbook stand out above the rest: the book offers recipes categorized according to time-limitations (1-minute-mini-meals, 5-minute meals, 15-minute meals, and 30 minute meals - I love this option because Bryce will be able to skim the recipes and select one based on how much time he feels he can give to meal preparation that particular day); the recipes are simple and easy foods, not exotic or unusual; the book contains 7 different pizza recipes, five stir-fry recipes, a dozen slow-cooker recipes (yes, he owns a slow-cooker), and a multitude of oven recipes; teaches how to equip your kitchen for speed; and, most unique, has a cardboard mount to prop the book upright for easy reading on your counter. Although I doubt he will use the final feature, I was really impressed with the wipe-erase menu planner on the inside of the front cover - a great place for jotting down necessary ingredients to add to a weekly shopping list. The recipes are geared toward healthy eating and I love the extra tips and discussions sprinkled throughout the book (a frozen grape tip - a treat my grandmother used to always have on hand; best time of day to exercise; choosing between butter and margarine; etc.). This book is a powerhouse! The fact that I managed to snag it for one-third of the price at Half-Price-Books only made this gift sweeter. Hopefully, Bryce will like it as much as I do (despite the girly feel).

The funny thing is, this will be the first year where almost a third of his gifts will be books (he actually plans to send a list of nine books he wants to read - is this really my book-averse son???). Thankfully, he doesn't read my blog - so the surprise is safe between you and me between now and Christmas morning! If you're on the look-out for an additional gift for your new adult, consider these two options. They might just be a perfect idea for you, as well.

No comments: