Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Book Review: Border Crossing

I'm always trying to find new audio selections to accompany my treadmill workouts. Indeed, I cast aside a famous Christian memoir because the author spent the first half of the initial CD regaling how many books she has written. She waxed on about how the book will appeal to all women of every age bracket and background experience. Plenty of people have recommended her books, but I will probably steer clear from now on, given my brief foray into her self-aggrandizement.

Thus, I was back to square one and on a limited time budget for browsing. I will acknowledge that I haven't been disposed to reading lately, but Border Crossing by Pat Barker is an audio book I wish I hadn't consumed. I was too far in before happening upon the raunchier bits. Plus, while it was intriguing to consider a therapist and his relationship with a juvenile murderer, it accomplished no redemption or resolution. I ended the book wondering why I had bothered. It provided a character study of a psychologist who is grieving the end of his marriage while reconnecting with a boy he helped send to prison. What a disturbing youth! I felt sure it would lead somewhere, but alas, it never did. The man remained unchanged. The boy remained unchanged. I ached for a sense of redemption that never materialized.

No comments: