Sunday, December 8, 2019

Book Review: The Words Between Us

If you love books, bookstores, and poetry, you might enjoy Erin Bartels' novel The Words Between Us. Listen to the introduction: "Most people only die once. But my father is not most people. He is a monster." Thus begins a weaving story about a teenager who escapes into a false identity to distance herself from the notorious crimes for which her parents are both spending time in prison. Although she resents their absence and has a hard time trusting others, she desperately wants to find her place in the world.

The story is told in dueling time lines, alternating between her past teen years and her current life as an owner of a bookstore in River City, Michigan. She hides from life in the pages of her beloved books until an old friend begins to send her the books they shared in high school. Why is he finally making contact now? Does he forgive her for her disappearance from his life? Can you redeem a broken past?

I enjoyed the book. It still was a stretch for me to concentrate, but I stuck with it. Although it wasn't so riveting I couldn't put it down, it successfully roped me in and kept me. Plus, who doesn't enjoy a book that name-drops famous books? Fun.

No comments: