Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Book Review: Surprised by Oxford

The best thing about reading Carolyn Weber's memoir? Reliving some wonderful memories of the times and experiences I had while studying at Oxford with the Wheaton-in-England program. I could relate to so many little nuances and highlights. I recall getting sick while there, trapped in my tiny room alone. In the summer of 1984, long before cell phones and e-mail, my homesickness (like Carolyn's) almost derailed me. Plus, so many little tidbits about Oxford (places I visited, words I encountered, impressions I had) were familiar and nostalgic. In some ways, it was like stepping back in time.

In other ways, it felt unfamiliar. Perhaps it is because even though I studied at Oxford, it was under our own professors, so I suppose my encounters can't really align to Carolyn's. The dialogue in this book may have been embellished to increase the drama and tension (as my friend Catherine observed in her review), but I know that my colleagues didn't spout memorized passages of poetry and profound expressions of enlightenment. Even while I wondered at the author's ability to recall such intense and ornate discussions, her storytelling pulled me in thoroughly. The characters were interesting. The shock factor of the initial conversation where her Christian professor stuns her with his use of a swear word came around full circle in the ending comments from that professor's wife. The reader walks alongside the struggle as the author moves from Christian opponent to proponent.

I loved many of her observations:

"I now understand why the words conversation and conversion are evocative of each other, turning toward each other, yet separated merely by where you are 'at.' All being said, it was probably [his] unwavering tone of patience, respect, and kindness that spoke more to me than all the syllogisms or intellectual arguments put together."

She also highlighted a friend's instruction about leaving the spoon in the teacup while you pour the tea because the metal in the spoon serves as a conductor to keep the china from cracking at the introduction of the hot water. I loved that illustration. Fear can break us apart, but we need the tempering God offers in the midst of the heat of life.

If you are interested in conversion stories, this one was interesting and full of literary flair (an immense number of literary references). Lit-lovers or Oxford aficionados will dance through the pages. Those seeking a winding love story will appreciate that element. The author gives a nod to C.S. Lewis's love relationship in his book, Surprised by Joy, and mentions the Inklings enough to satisfy fans of Lewis or Tolkien. For me, I enjoyed this walk down memory lane.

No comments: