Friday, November 20, 2020

Book Review: Evvie Drake Starts Over

If you are looking for a light-hearted romance, Evvie Drake Starts Over is a good place to start. The author, Linda Holmes, is the host of NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast. Although not a big NPR listener, I look to them for book recommendations sometimes. This feel-good, sweet novel was an easy read and explored themes of guilt, love, and second chances.

Evvie Drake was all prepared to start over. With luggage packed in her car, she never expected the call that announced her husband's death in a car crash. So, why can't she start over now that the universe has given her a pass to go card? She feels wracked with guilt for a step she never even took. Meanwhile, Dean Tenney is forced to start over when his pitching arm suddenly malfunctions. What neurosis keeps him from taking the steps his body should know by heart? When Dean moves into Evvie's rental apartment, both explore what is holding them back from their second chance at life. Do they have what it takes to wipe the slate clean and seek something new?

In the novel, Evvie talks about grieving her first call status. I had never thought in terms like that. How difficult it is to accept that a relationship has changed and you are no longer the first person your best friend would call when they receive significant news. I've been there. Indeed, I tried to imagine who I would call first. Certainly my husband would hear my news, but who would be my first call? I have no idea. That, in itself, is rather sad. Lots to think about in this book. Can a man be a woman's best friend without hinting at sparks of anything else? Why do we present a false front to the world, afraid to show our life truths? How important is it to forgive ourselves before we forgive others? Hmm. Like I said, lots to ponder. 

No comments: