Thursday, November 5, 2020

Book Review: Open and Unafraid

In these days of confusion and chaos, I have taken to reading the psalms. They express similar angst to what I experience. They praise in equal measure. W. David O. Taylor's book, Open and Unafraid: The Psalms as a Guide to Life, explores the psalms thoroughly. Divided into 14 chapters, breaking down categories such as Honesty, Prayer, Poetry, Anger, Joy, Enemies, Justice, and Death, the book outlines how we need not filter and gentrify our expressions to God. We can express all facets of our feelings. He is worthy of our praise, and He hears our desperate cries. I appreciated the questions for reflection and suggested exercises at the end of each chapter. Even though I only took part in a few of these activities, I jotted down some questions to explore in my daily writing pages. Here are a few I hope to explore further:

  • "What things are more difficult for you to be honest about?"
  • "What are you afraid will happen if you are fully honest to God and others?"
  • Listen to "40," by U-2 and watch "Bono & Eugene Peterson: The Psalms"
  • Write your own psalm
  • "In what specific way do you wish for God, or for others, to be present to you in your lament today?"
  • Study a psalm of lament and write your own psalm of lament
  • "Write down specific things that have caused you to become upset or angry.... Write down in as much detail as you can how these experiences have made you feel.... Welcome God into this process."
  • "What things make it hard for you to practice joy?"
  • "What are the things in your life that help you feel God's pleasure when you're doing them?"
While this was not a book I could absorb well when I attempted it in audio form, I fared much better with time and opportunity to reflect. I will strive to be open and honest with God and with others. Full vulnerability is difficult and intimidating, but valuable. At least with God, I believe complete openness allows the chance to unload what burdens without fear of rejection or judgment. Opportunities for that with people are few; with God, it is always possible. And when words escape me, I can always pray the psalms.

No comments: