Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Book Review: The Return of the Prodigal Son

One blessing of walking a path with a prodigal child is the clear correlation in Scripture. Since I find my trial in the Bible, I am assured God is familiar with what I am facing. He is the original parent of a prodigal. This book, The Return of the Prodigal Son, grew out of Henri Nouwen's viewing and contemplation of Rembrandt's painting by the same name. The cover of my copy bears this famous painting.

Nouwen walks through the parable from the perspective of each participant: father, prodigal, and elder son. He points out how we can relate to each in some measure. Indeed, I have been wayward, seeking anything but the love and authority of the Father. Who hasn't wanted their own way instead of God's way? I have resented the favor God grants others. Finally, I'm called to love with His level of unconditional love, something most challenging.

In one of my favorite passages, Nouwen addresses the unexpected expression of God's love. We think the Father should not allow the son to go his own way. Surely, knowing the outcome, he would do better to force the child to accept his home and his love. Yet, God doesn't.

Nouwen writes: "How much would he have liked to pull them back with his fatherly authority and hold them close to himself so that they would not get hurt. But his love is too great to do any of that. It cannot force, constrain, push, or pull. It offers freedom to reject that love.... That freedom includes the possibility of their leaving home, going to a 'distant country,' and losing everything.... From the beginning of creation, [He] has stretched out his arms in merciful blessing, never forcing himself on anyone, but always waiting; never letting his arms drop down in despair, but always hoping that his children will return so that he can speak words of love to them and let his tired arms rest on their shoulders. His only desire is to bless."

Would that I could show that level of love. If only I did not give way to despair. Clinging to hope is not possible without the Father's intervention. My arms grow weary. They droop, and I experience anger at my child for not living according to my dictates and authority. I want to demand compliance. I want to control the outcome. As I experience the compassionate love of God, I move forward attempting to live that love to my son. I must ignore the rejection and focus on the return, waiting to bless.

No comments: