Monday, March 1, 2021

Book Blurb: Winter is Scissors

Reading my friend Kyle's newest book in January prompted a search for my review of his 2018 book. Alas, I failed to write a review when I read it after purchasing the Kindle version back in 2018. I re-read the book this past January. Winter is Scissors: A Winter Companion provides "thirty-one small, daily readings... extending the metaphor that winter cuts." With 31 entries, it is a perfect fit for January reading, but you could just as well tackle it in March.

I had several favorite entries: On day 6 - Epiphany - White asserts that, like the wise men, he has received the message to cut an alternative path for home. On day 8, he humorously personifies weather and our relationship to it in "The Scandalous Truth About You and Cold Weather." Of course, I appreciated day 19, "Winter is for Writing." On day 20, he compares shoveling and shaving. While I'm not a big fan of winter (my sister and her husband, who live in Texas, pine for winter and snow as much as Kyle does), these poetic readings warmed my heart and gave meaning to the chill outside.

No comments: