Monday, April 19, 2021

Book Review: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

What a long time it has been since I first read this book, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. 17 or 18 years! I relish listening to this series because the chosen narrator for Recorded Books is Lisette Lecat. She brings Botswana to life for me. I remembered the characters and the delightful names, but had forgotten much of the initial storyline in this first installment. You cannot go wrong with this series! You will fall in love with Mma Ramotswe as she sets up her detective agency. Indeed, you may fall in love with the descriptions of the country and its people, too. Alexander McCall Smith throws in some delightful humor (I chuckled at her rambling thoughts about a political party for those who suffer from constipation but cannot seem to pass legislation - ha!). I'm so glad I decided to re-start at the beginning, since I was too out of touch with the series to pick up where I left off at book 13. It will be fun to listen again to the first dozen books. I think I can get most of them in audio form (perhaps missing only one).

No comments: