Monday, March 28, 2022

The Woman Beyond the Attic

As explained in my review of The Umbrella Lady, I have never read a book by V. C. Andrews. Still, who hasn't heard of The Flowers in the Attic? I may live in a cave, unaware of the success of Celtic Thunder, but you'd have to be, say, trapped in an attic to be unaware of the book that vaulted V. C. Andrews to fame. Reading one of her ghostwritten books made me game to read her biography, written by her ghostwriter, Andrew Neiderman. Any writer's biography would interest me and I suppose that is why I kept reading. Now, I'm more certain I'll never choose this author's books.

In many ways, The Woman Beyond the Attic: The V. C. Andrews Story, demonstrates the truth that personal trial reaps creative inspiration. Authors who suffer understand the human condition and translate that suffering into works that are relatable to the masses. This author's life is a mini-picture of the emotion she taps in her famous book. Afflicted with arthritis, Virginia Andrews watched her idyllic childhood vanish when she twisted in just the wrong way on a staircase in her high school. This minor action led to a major redirection in her life. Doctors recommended a body cast, hoping the skeletal structure would heal in the proper way. But she didn't heal. For the rest of her life, Virginia felt trapped in a body that required help and care. Her controlling mother, somewhat ashamed of Virginia's disability and determined to protect her at all costs, kept her from engaging more fully in society. Thus, this author could articulate for others a story about four children trapped in an attic.

Biographies provide a chance to walk in another individual's shoes. This writer differs from me. She believes in reincarnation. The way she portrays Christianity in abusive terms shows her disdain. Plus, she embraces writing as a chance to play god in the lives of her characters. ("I step into a universe of my own making, and I am the god. What a sense of power!") 

While it was interesting to learn all about this author's life, this biography provided little writing wisdom. Two lessons emerged from her story. First, an author must persevere despite years of rejection. Like many writers, V. C. Andrews devoted much time and practice prior to achieving success. Some might say this one book catapulted her to "instant" success, but that's wrong. She had already written nine other novels and many short stories before she landed on the idea for her Flowers book. The origin of that story germ highlights the second lesson. Stories come from a myriad of sources and a writer must keep their eyes and ears open to plausible ideas. After hearing a true story of children isolated in an attic, Virginia asked the key writing question, "What if?"

At the end of this biography, Neiderman provides samples of the author's work, including an unfinished story, the bones of another story, and a few poems. Although I tried to read her writing, I skipped through this part (unsavory from the outset and not all that compelling either). Given that V. C. Andrews takes her isolated children down a path of incest, I have no desire to read this book that captivated millions. I hope Neiderman's sequel to The Umbrella Lady will be clean.

Content caution: 📒 - the biography discusses sex and one writing sample displays sex

No comments: