Saturday, October 15, 2022

Ah, Fall!

This has been a tough week. Interest in my prodigal parenting book is tapering off and I've exhausted most of the avenues for securing more exposure. My now-adult son asserted his status and independence in two disappointing ways. Good thing my book doesn't claim to provide parenting wisdom. I have none for parenting teens/adults who are intent on making ruinous choices. My book simply expresses the heart cries of a parent leaning into God amid the journey.

Yesterday morning, I came across someone who mentioned a book about walking as a spiritual practice. This is something I've embraced for a long time. So, instead of my usual time on the recumbent bike and treadmill, I braved the cold (32 degrees) and took a walk. It provided exercise and a great time for prayer and reflection. Thanking God that He's not finished with me yet and not finished with my sons yet, either.

As I approached home, I snapped some photos of the beautiful fall foliage. 


(A photo of our long-time neighbor's property - their trees are resplendent!)



(Our house - I love the orange display behind the house - initially blocked by the front yard tree in the first picture.)

How blessed I am to live on a property with such vibrant colors and soul-stirring transformation. It may be fall. I may feel like I'm in the middle of a drought. But perhaps, as in the story of Elijah (see 1 Kings 17 and 18), God is sending the drought to prepare for a magnificent confirmation of His vast power and purpose. Without the drought, the people of Israel might not have been ready for the heart transformation when they realized (after Elijah's showdown with the prophets of Baal and against incredible odds) that the Lord is the one true God. Elijah had to endure the drought, too. Yet, God was with him every step of the way and met his every need. I'm claiming that for myself and allowing the healing power of nature to soothe my heart and soul.

No comments: