Monday, October 17, 2022

Book Review: Just Show Up

When I picked this book up from the library, I learned it was a follow-up book. Thus, I set it aside and went after Kara Tippett's initial book, The Hardest Peace (reviewed here). This one didn't move me as thoroughly as Kara's telling of her story. Yet, it was an informative and helpful book. Just Show Up: The Dance of Walking Through Suffering Together is a brilliant book for anyone walking alongside a struggling friend. Those struggles could vary: marital difficulties, death of a parent or child, wayward child facing grave consequences, cancer in self or loved-one. Personally, I've experienced each of these scenarios. Some walked alongside me with grace, showing care and understanding. Some offered unrequested platitudes or advice. A few withdrew and walked away in avoidance.

I cannot say I always respond to another's suffering with the right words or responses. This book emphasizes the best thing to do, just show up. Be there for the person: in silence, in assisting in whatever capacity might meet a need, in prayer, and in presence. It is not surprising that our normal reaction to suffering is a desire to pull away. Many hang in the balance of their pain, feeling like others have forgotten them or do not care. We are called to lean in to those difficult friendships. To embrace the awkward moments. To endure the hard and gritty. And in doing so, we find a blessing. As Kara proclaimed in her first book, God is IN the hard and God IS good.

=====

Aside: My library provides saving statistics on each receipt. When I checked out this book, I discovered someone else's receipt in the book: "You just saved $15.99 by using your library. You have saved $53.92 this past year and $332.12 since you began using the library!" It made me chuckle. My most recent receipt says I saved $26,964.90 since I began using the library. Ha!

Second aside: After finishing this book, I took an hour and a half of my Sunday afternoon and watched the documentary (available for free on YouTube, here). It is such a touching story and reminds us we each have a story that holds promise for comfort to someone else. May my story give God the glory!

No comments: