I thoroughly enjoyed the simple stories behind so many beloved hymns. If you are interested in hymns, I highly recommend the audio version, since it allows you to hear the melodies with lyrics recited in the background. Indeed, when I think of all the hymns I know, it is staggering. I was raised in church and probably have thousands of hymns memorized. What a great background of theology in my brain. And, to think many of these follow scripture, so I'm planting the Word in my head and heart.
The author, Kenneth W. Osbeck, compiled a second book called 101 More Hymn Stories. Sadly, it is not available in audio form. I found it in paperback, so that will have to suffice. These stories would be excellent to include in church bulletins or sermon illustrations. I've been using the Sing hymnal I received for Mother's Day during my morning devotions. Thankfully, nobody else is awake to hear me as I sing (or croak) two hymns and read the snippets of information provided at the back of the hymnal (not nearly as in-depth as Osbeck's stories). Singing, as Isaac Serrano reminds us in When Life Feels Empty, is an essential spiritual practice lending meaning to our lives.

No comments:
Post a Comment