Friday, October 30, 2009

Survived the Dentist, but Still Feel Buzzed

I'm sorry to those many legions of individuals who have been waiting with bated breath for my next blog post (har-dee-har-har!!!). I have been a bit under the weather. Nothing serious, but enough to make the days very long and sleep much more necessary.

Last Friday, I had my first dentist appointment since we moved to Indiana. This is a horrible thing to admit. Why not embrace full honesty and explain that I hadn't been for five years. Shortly after my MS was born, our elderly dentist in DeKalb passed away. Then, we were busy planning a move and moving, then expecting a baby and constantly caring for a baby, then ... well, you get the picture. It just never loomed large on my radar.

Needless to say, it was not very surprising that they discovered two cavities in need of filling. Not wanting to schedule an appointment in November (my high-powered novel writing month), I accepted an appointment for this morning.

The more I thought about the anticipated shots into two sides of my upper gums, the less I figured I could handle this appointment. So, I took the coward's way out and requested nitrous oxide.

What a trip that stuff is. As the nurse applied the mask to my face, I could hear the dentist conversing with another patient in the room next to mine. Slowly, things began to all roll together and I could hear various familiar songs playing on the radio, then someone asking me to open wider, a vague sense of the drilling sound. It is like your head is floating above the ceiling. I don't think I opened my eyes once. I'm not sure if I would have even been able to open them. Perhaps they gave me too much juice.

All I know is that when I came out of it, everyone was looking at me like they were very fearful for me. They asked if I felt sick to my stomach. I said no, but a minute or two later had to reverse that assessment and request a receptacle.

When the dentist made a final check-in, he apologized for the vomiting episode and said next time they will give a bit less nitrous. I'm thinking, "let's not be talking about a next time at this point, please!" I said it was quite all right, since I would far rather toss my cookies than feel the pain of a shot. It was only then that he informed me that the gums are actually the least painful spot you can receive a shot. Go figure! I would have thought gums would hurt like the dickens!

Still, I survived. I did, however, battle a lingering headache the rest of the day. I am hoping tomorrow will reap a bit more productivity, since it is my last day to whip this house into shape (sorry, another har-dee-har-har!) before I enter into the month of novel-labouring. I can already picture the book-to-be, so that is a good sign. Names are selected. The enthusiasm and excitement is beginning to mount. November ... bring it on!

1 comment:

Elizabeth A. said...

I did the same thing when it came to the dentist. I was moving and it just gets pushed off.

I'm cool with the shots because I've had more than I count, but they often put lidocaine on your gums for a few minutes before you get the injections. That can help a lot. Last time I went, I forgot and tried to drink some coffee out of my travel mug I had left in the car. Most of the coffee ended up on the front seat and my shirt. Ooops, I was so glad there was no one there to witness my numb mouth.

I'd much rather take a shot than throw up. I really hate puking when I'm sober, I really. really hate it. I think I'm still traumatized from getting food poisoning on my honeymoon.

Hope NaNo is going well.