Sunday, December 21, 2008

Book Review: Maggie's Miracle


Once again, Karen Kingsbury, has warmed my heart with another inspiring Christmas tale. Maggie's Miracle, is the second in Kingsbury's Red Glove Series. Each of these short tales are suitable for reading as a family.

The book begins with an eight year old boy's letter to God. He is asking God to help his widowed mother, Megan, believe in love again, so he can have a daddy. The characters felt a bit stereotyped. The mother is a busy district attorney, who obviously took time to have a child, yet doesn't have time to give her son. The grandmother is too tired to keep up with the boy (I guess this rubbed me the wrong way, as well, since the grandmother calls him "the boy."). The denouement was a bit too perfect - all the strings were tied up nicely. Still, I enjoyed listening to this Christmas tale. It was a pleasant way to fill the time driving out to get my Christmas shopping done.

If I could have changed the book in any way, I would have made it a bit less neatly packaged. Megan didn't seem to be a likable character until the very end. The boy never once talked back, despite having dealt with many difficult changes in the past two years of his young life. Casey had not a single flaw. I did enjoy the story, but I wished for more redemption and character growth. Still, I doubt all this could have been pulled off within a brief, 12-chapter book.

No comments: