Monday, December 8, 2008

How I Was Romanced into a Relationship with CVS

Cardiogirl was blown away by my story of the penny purchase of two toys and a 2-liter of soda. I must admit that, even though every detail is true, it feels like a fish story (where the fish is portrayed as bigger than it really is). Before I come clean and explain exactly how much those items cost me, I want to explain how my love for CVS came about.

About a year ago, I began to enter the blogosphere (previously, I really only read my friend Sarah's blog - you must go there now to view a fantastic You Tube video about getting back to the real meaning of Christmas). First, I met Dawn through her widely famous Pokemon Card-E-bay story. Then, I found a place to search for bloggers by state. I believe that is how I found Catherine's blog (you can check out her Jesse Tree blog as well - a meaningful Christmas tradition). She regularly chronicles her big CVS deals and I am often green with envy.

I had long been a Walgreens monthly rebate player. However, when Catherine began to outline her deals at CVS, I started to salivate. Then, I received a CVS deal via snail mail offering me up to $50 in CVS gift cards with the transfer of up to two prescriptions. I had several prescriptions to refill and usually filled them at Walgreens. I transferred two prescriptions and received the $50 to spend in a CVS in the future.

True CVS players attempt to roll-over their freebies when using the Extra Care Buck system. I spent my initial $25 on items which then gave me back almost $25 in ECBs (I still have one of those $25 cards). The ECBs do expire within a month, so you have to be more diligent than the Walgreens deals (once I receive my Walgreens rebate card I can use it any time, months and years later).

I have an Extra Care Card, which I always provide at the outset of any transactions. Because I took the time to register the card on-line, I also receive on-line offers from time to time. Then there are the occasional deals on the receipts of filled prescriptions.

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I had received an e-mail deal offering $5 off a $30 purchase. I had a few ECBs to roll-over and there were bountiful deals offered at that time. I don't remember how much I paid at the check-out, but by getting ECBs back on many items, and using several coupons on toothpaste and candy bars, I managed to get two free Colgate Total toothpastes, 3 free G-2 Gatorade drinks, two free nail polishes, two free lip glosses and two free candy bars. I left the store with a fistful of ECBs on my extra long receipt.

I was a bit worried that I wouldn't manage to use the ECBs before they expired. Then, I received the $5 off $15 purchase coupon on my prescription receipt. I headed to the store intending to buy a large plastic dump truck which YS had been craving the last time he had been in a CVS with me. By purchasing the soda and a container of shampoo (also with coupons), I figured I could get the dump truck for $5.

Alas, I was on a time-constraint with only 15 minutes to shop before my $5 off deal expired. I couldn't find the dump truck anywhere, but did notice a sign, which I thought read, "Buy One toy, get the second one for 50% off." When I noticed a $15 Bump and Go Train which blows real smoke, I knew that it would be a big hit with YS for Christmas. Thinking I was getting the second toy for half off, I selected the $10 Magnet Mania toy (ES already has these and the boys love to play with them - though, they are noisy). I have 14 nieces and nephews to buy for on my side alone (due to the number, we all agreed to keep the gifts around $5).

When the clerk gave me the total - $20, I produced two ECB's worth close to that amount and the difference came to only one penny. So, in reality, I paid $10 for each of those toys. I don't especially want to pay $10 for the magnet toy, but I'm not sure they will give me money back if I try to return it, since I paid with ECBs.

If you are interested in joining this fun game, so that you too can do end zone shuffles after really great steals, you can learn more about it at http://www.moneysavingmom.com/. She offers a tutorial on how to get started and how to secure the best deals (check her sidebar for CVS 101 and CVS - How to Make it Work For You). She also outlines lots of deals which are available in various stores. These days we're going to need all the deals and money-saving tips we can find, and it does feel as good as catching a really BIG fish or scoring that important touch-down for the team!

No comments: