Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Progress in Nanowrimoland

So, I declared that I was dragging my feet.  But really, that seems an unrealistic assessment now.  I have already reached the established goal for Nanowrimo, the coveted 50,000 words of a novel.  My novel is now pushing 53,000 words.  I am plugging away, determined to attempt to finish the whole thing before November ends.  If not, well, that's okay, too.

Although I don't feel as confident about this story line (my head goes back and forth saying, "maybe this character really wouldn't get the position she is trying out for because she is so ostracized... maybe this aspect of the story doesn't fit ... maybe I'm not portraying the conflict in the best possible terms ... maybe I should change the crime that caused all the friction between the main character and her father ... maybe it needs to be something else ... maybe I'm not totally ready to write the forgiveness scene ... etc."), the words are definitely flying onto the page.  When I walk in the morning, new aspects of the story seem to jump into my mind.  I am constantly analyzing it, constantly trying to find the best fit for each of the aspects and characters in my story.

Plus, I am listening to a well-written novel at the same time.  As I hear brilliantly beautiful analogies and similes, I find myself wishing I could laden my own novel with stunning prose like this gifted writer (Sue Monk Kidd).  But, I'm also feeling realistic.  This novel is an exercise.  I am flexing my writing muscles to see what I can achieve.  If this is merely a practice run, it is still of great value.  And, like the philosophy of Nanowrimo, I can always go back after the completed manuscript is done and rework the bits that need further revision.  I will, at least, have a shell to start off with and can further flesh out the details as need be.

So, I'm patting myself on the back for giving this year's challenge a go.  I didn't know if I was prepared to write at all.  I wasn't overly thrilled with my chosen topic (even though I had been all set to write this story a year ago, when a different idea popped into my head one week prior to the start of Nanowrimo).  But, I'm getting it done.  I'm writing with abandon ... and that is progress!

No comments: