Saturday, March 14, 2020

Smitten With This Stirring Song

I wish I had my husband's memory skills. He remembers everything; I remember little. I can't recall how I first encountered this stirring worship song, but I have been playing it repeatedly (mostly while waiting to pick up my boys from school or work). I love so many things about it: the call and response aspect, the repeated refrain of two words, the lyrical, engaging quality of the music, the subject of God's majesty, wisdom, and honor. I love the expression of His ability to break through the barriers we experience in this fallen world and redeem that which is broken. It is truly my favorite song, of the moment.

We sang this together in worship at our annual Bible camp last summer. I wish I could have been there for this Sing Conference to join with the throngs. Although there are several covers for this song (Chris Tomlin, Shane & Shane, and Andrew Peterson's own music video), this is my favorite version. I love the timbre of Peterson's voice and the magnitude of the masses. Oh, how we need this reminder in the midst of our dark and broken world, where shadows are, indeed, deepening daily. He is the light to not only shatter the darkness, but carry us through that darkness. (The only thing I don't like about this You Tube video, is the miniscule moment when a man breaks the atmosphere of the spirit of worship to kiss-cam.):




Kudos to Andrew Peterson for such excellent songwriting! If you'd like to see the lyrics or more about what prompted the writing of this song, read this New Release Today article.

No comments: